FPGA Based Firewalls for Network Protection
Waliau Tân Seiliedig ar FPGA ar gyfer Diogelu’r Rhwydwaith
Project ID: 216432
|PhD wedi’i gyllido yw hwn, sy’n cynnwys cyflog hael a ffioedd dysgu, gydag amgylchiadau sydd â digon o adnoddau ar gyfer ysgoloriaeth lwyddiannus.||This is a funded PhD, including a generous stipend and tuition fees, with well-resourced circumstances for a successful scholarship.|
Here is an exciting opportunity to study the application of Field Programmable Gate Arrays which could lead to entirely new approaches to the development of firewalls a a system on chip which could have massive impact in securing the Internet of Things (IoT).
The selected candidate must have a degree in computer science, good knowledge of computer security and strong programming experience.
This Knowledge Economy Skills Scholarship (KESS) project will be held in the Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Science at the University of South Wales. KESS is a programme funded by the European Social Fund (ESF) awarded by the Welsh European Funding Office (WEFO) in the Welsh Government.
The project is backed by ITSUS who were created in 2008 by communications engineers with a powerful pedigree in the defence industry, where they spent many years designing, testing and implementing secure systems for the most challenging environments. ITSUS is a specialist network consultancy which delivers that crucial combination of security and efficiency, both expertly and cost-effectively, to clients in the most demanding environments. Its highly-experienced and agile team designs, integrates, tests and implements innovative and tailored network solutions for government, the military and defence industry, financial services, the health service, energy firms and utilities.
Programme of research:
At the heart of the UK National Cyber Security Strategy is the linking between a safe and secure network and economic well-being. This project directly addresses this issue via the application of creation of a technology demonstrator in the context of east wales. Consequently, the application of the technology developed in this project will stimulate a number of business sector across Wales, as well as enhancing East Wales’s reputation and as international centre of cyber security expertise.
This project seeks to develop novel state of the art capability in the application of Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) and their application to the development of Firewalls as a System on Chip (SoC). The growth in IoT has fuelled the volume of devices being connected to a network. Currently there is no solution to the problem of protecting these devices at the network level.
The project seeks to validate the Hypothesis that it is possible to create an IoT enabled firewall via a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) and that such a device would enhance IoT security across a number of business sectors. In particular the aims of this project are as follows:
- To design and develop a Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) Firewall;
- To validate the utility of the Firewall through a Technology Demonstrator at TRL 4/5.
Bydd yr ysgoloriaeth ymchwil yn cynnwys ffioedd ar gyfer rhaglen PhD llawn-amser am flwyddyn ac yn talu cyflog o oddeutu £14k y flwyddyn. Mae hefyd tua £9k o gostau cymorth ar gael i’r prosiect ar gyfer treuliau, teithio, mân offer, hyfforddiant (gan gynnwys Ysgol Raddedig KESS) a mynychu cynadleddau.
Mae’r swydd ar gael o 1 Ionawr 2020.
The studentship will cover the fees for a full-time PhD programme and pay a stipend of circa £14k p.a. There is also around £9k project support costs available for consumables, travel, minor equipment, training (including the KESS Grad School) and conference attendance.
The position is available from 1st January 2020.
I fod yn gymwys i gael ysgoloriaeth ymchwil KESS, mae’n rhaid:
· cael cyfeiriad cartref yn yr ardal Dwyrain Cymru (manylion isod)* ar adeg cofrestru.
· bod gennych hawl i ymgymryd â gwaith cyflogedig yn yr ardal Dwyrain Cymru* ar ôl cwblhau’r ysgoloriaeth.
· bod y Brifysgol yn eich ystyried yn fyfyriwr ‘cartref’ neu ‘UE’ at ddibenion ffioedd dysgu yn unol â chanllawiau’r Brifysgol.
· eich bod yn bodloni meini prawf mynediad Prifysgol De Cymru: gweler isod, cymwysterau a phrofiad a’r broses ymgeisio
*Dwyrain Cymru ardal yn cwmpasu: Bro Morgannwg / Caerdydd / Casnewydd/ Sir Fynwy/ Powys/ Wrecsam/ Sir Y Fflint
Eligibility of Student:
To be eligible to hold a KESS studentship, you must:
· have a home address in East Wales area (details below)* at the time of registration.
· have the right to take up paid work in the East Wales area* on completion of the scholarship.
· be classified by the University as ‘home’ or ‘EU’ for tuition fees purposes according to the University’s guidelines.
· satisfy University of South Wales’s admissions criteria: see below, qualifications and experience and application process
*East Wales area covers: Vale of Glamorgan / Cardiff/ Newport/ Monmouthshire/ Powys/ Wrexham/ Flintshire
|Cymwysterau a phrofiad:
Bydd gan ymgeiswyr cymwys:
|Qualifications and experience:
Eligible applicants will:
- Have a degree (2i or higher) in an appropriate Computer Science discipline
- Possess a reasonable understanding of Computer Security and Networking
- Be highly self-motivated, with capacity to learn and develop programming techniques
- Have well-developed and positively collaborative interpersonal skills
- Have an ability to deliver technical reports and communicate findings
- Be willing to travel and work in industrial settings
|Y Broses Ymgeisio:
I lawrlwytho’r pecyn ymgeisio, ewch i: Pecyn Ymgeisio Cyfranogwr
Am unrhyw ymholiadau ynghylch cymhwysedd, cysylltwch â: Tîm KESS, Gwasanaethau Ymchwil ac Arloesedd, Prifysgol De Cymru: email@example.com Ffôn: 01443 482578
Ar gyfer ymholiadau anffurfiol neu ragor o wybodaeth am y rhaglen, cysylltwch â: Mark Griffiths (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Rhagor o wybodaeth:
To download an application package, please visit: specific funded studentships:
For any queries on eligibility, please contact: KESS Team at Research and Innovation Services, University of South Wales: email@example.com Tel: 01443 482578
For informal enquiries or further programme information, please contact: Mark Griffiths (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Further information at:
|Dyddiad cau ar gyfer ceisiadau: Hanner nos Dydd Sul 9 Chwefror 2020
Cynhelir cyfweliadau yn ystod yr wythnos yn dechrau (i’w gadarnhau)
|Closing date for applications: midnight Sunday 9th February 2020
Interviews will be held w/c (TBC)
|Mae Ysgoloriaethau Sgiliau Economi Gwybodaeth (KESS) yn fenter sgiliau lefel uwch ar draws Cymru a arweinir gan Brifysgol Bangor ar ran y sector AU yng Nghymru. Fe’i cyllidir yn rhannol gan raglen Cronfa Gymdeithasol Ewropeaidd (ESF) Llywodraeth Cymru ar gyfer Dwyrain Cymru.||Knowledge Economy Skills Scholarships (KESS) is a pan-Wales higher-level skills initiative led by Bangor University on behalf of the HE sector in Wales. It is part funded by the Welsh Government’s European Social Fund (ESF) programme for East Wales.