Research Image Competition : “Impact”
Following on from the success of last year’s Research Image Competition, we are pleased to be accepting submissions once again for this year’s KESS 2 Annual Event which will be held at The Celtic Manor Resorton the evening of10 September, 2019 from 7.00pm until late.
A picture is worth a thousand words and the Research Image Competition is an opportunity for all project participants to consider their ESF funded research from a visually engaging perspective.
We are inviting submissions for research related images following the theme of Impact. Your chosen image should help tell the story of your research’s impact and / or its potential for real-world application. You can interpret the theme as closely or as broadly as you like, supplementing your image with a short abstract to give context.
Images could include but are not restricted to:
- Research equipment
- Research subject matter
- Evidence of innovation
- Research environment (e.g. lab or field work)
- Combination of all or any of the above
- You will need to include a title for the image and an accompanying abstract (approx. 100 words) that explains what the image shows and its relation to your research.
- The abstract must be accessible to a non-specialist academic audience – please use language that is engaging and clear, avoiding excessive jargon where possible.
- One image submission allowed per individual entrant.
- Make sure your image is saved as a JPEG or PNG at the highest resolution possible as shortlisted entries will be printed for exhibition (Resolution: minimum 150dpi, 300dpi is best)
If your image is shortlisted it will be printed up to A2 (420mm x 594mm) in size and exhibited at the KESS 2 Annual Event at The Celtic Manor Resort on the evening of 10 September, 2019.
Shortlisted images will be judged by a VIP panel and the award winner announced on the evening of the event.
Your image and abstract should be submitted by email to email@example.com with the subject heading Impact by 5.00pm on 23rd. August, 2019
By entering this competition, you confirm: (a) that KESS 2 is authorised to use the photograph/image submitted by you for marketing materials and promotional publications, including, but not limited to, website items and press releases, without limitation of time and not restricted to the competition; and (b) that you are fully entitled to give this authorization.
Any queries should be directed to Dr Penny Dowdney at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recap on last year’s Image Competition:
- If including people, ensure you have permissions from those included in the image. Verbal permission should be sufficient.
- Smartphones have excellent cameras these days but make sure they are set to take high resolution images as low resolution images cannot be used in print.
The submission deadline is 5.00pm on 23rd. August 2019
Judging Criteria: (Considering both the image and abstract)
- Visual Impact – What do you feel when you first view the entry? Does it pique your interest/is it exciting or surprising?
- Subject Matter – Is the subject matter displayed in the photo appropriate to the story being told in the abstract submitted?
- Composition – How do all the visual elements express the purpose or intent of the image?
- Engagement – Does the image draw you in? Does it have more than one centre of interest or none at all? Would you feel intrigued to find out more about this research?
- Communication – Does the image and abstract help tell the story of the research’s impact and/or its potential for real-world application?
- Overall Impression/Impact – Are the image and abstract a memorable combination?