KESS 2 have negotiated for all our funded postgraduate researchers to have access to a FREE membership with the Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining (IOM3).
IOM3 is a major UK science and engineering institution and a registered charity governed by a Royal Charter. They support professionals in materials, minerals, mining and associated technical disciplines to become heroes of the transition to a low-carbon, resource efficient society.
Their activities promote and develop all aspects of the Materials Cycle, from exploration and extraction, to characterisation, processing and application, to product recycling, repurposing and reuse.
“A fantastic opportunity has arisen to allow all KESS 2 PhD and Research Masters Postgraduate Researchers to become members of the Institute of Materials Minerals and Mining. KESS 2 has worked with IOM3 to allow all students to become members of the Institute at no cost to themselves.
The Institute offers the opportunity to interact with other researchers and professionals across a wide cross section of science, materials and engineering. With technical communities, diverse cross cutting themes and a very active young members group (which has the best social calendar in the Institute!!) it is a great opportunity to interact outside your university.
Membership of the Institute has led to job opportunities, further research opportunities and lifelong friendships from around the world.”
Dr Graham Ormondroyd FIMMM (Bangor University KESS 2 Academic Supervisor)
Head of Materials Research, BioComposites Centre : email@example.com
How to claim your free membership:
- Create an account online at: https://www.iom3.org/membership/become-a-member/join-online.html
- Notify Irene Rudnicki of your registration and your status as a KESS 2 participant by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IOM3 will activate your account. KESS 2 are billed directly, you do not need to make any payments.
Benefits of joining:
Your membership will be classed under the Postgraduate Student Package, which includes many benefits such as:
- Free print version and online access to Materials World or Clay Technology magazine.
- Reduced rates on event, training course and publication fees.
- Reduced rates on soft skills seminars and younger members’ conference fees.
- Eligibility to apply for student travel grants and bursaries.
You are also entitled to apply for:
- A Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Trainee card.
In addition to all the normal member benefits, postgrads are also automatically members of the Student & Early Career Group which pursue their own activities and have their own newsletter.
All other benefits are to be found on the IOM3 website at https://www.iom3.org/membership/why-join-iom3/membership-benefits.html
If you have any questions, please email Penny directly: email@example.com